[Digikam-users] [OT] photo cataloging software suggestions

Jay Dickon Glanville dickon.glanville at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:50:05 BST 2007

Hello all,

This is an off-topic request, but I'd thought I ask on this list as
other photographers would desire similar functionality.

I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for photo cataloging
software.  My principal requirement is the cataloging of offline
photos.  I have many of my photos archived on CDs, so I'd like to be
able to browse the thumbnails and metadata without having to
repeatedly load the CDs.  Large hard drives only go so far.

The second desire is that it would also support IPTC and EXIF metadata
for both JPG and RAW (Canon RAW specifically).

I've found similar things, like ThumbsPlus and WhereIsIt, but they
have their problems.

I should point out that I like the functionality of DigiKam, but I
realize that it doesn't support offline photos, nor do I expect it to
support it any time soon (I get the impression that this isn't a high
priority for DigiKam developers).  If I can have one tool for
processing and browsing of "current active work", plus a different one
for past work, that's fine for me.

Thanks
JDG
--