[Digikam-users] IPTC handling and limits

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Wed Sep 12 21:00:29 BST 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 03:24:07PM -0400, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> yes, in theory. For JPEG, the IPTC  section is limited to 64Kb. for PNG and
> TIFF, there is no limit.

sorry if I misunderstand, but here you mean, by keyword (like one line of my exmaple below (people/family/thomas) or for the whole ?

> To be clear, if in digikam I assign, for a picture the following flags :
> >
> > people/family/thomas
> > people/family/laurence
> > animals/cats/timi
> > can I have any number of those saved in IPTC keywords as long as each of
> > them (such as people/family/thomas) is less then 64B long ?

> yes

Same clarification request as above : here you mean "yes" whatever the file
format (jpeg, tiff, ...) or just for some of them ?

> all tags are stored in digiKam DB. when all will be ready in 0.10, just use
> the sync pictures<->DB tools  to update all in your images. Of course the
> future right options to sync XMP must be enable (XMP config panel not yet
> done).

Ok, I see, but that would be an argument for creating tags with accents (UTF-8)
right now, wouldn't it (so tags name are here to stay and won't need to be
"accentuated" later) ? Is the patch you mention below activated by default ?

To be clear :

Do I have better to create right now a tag named "Françoise", in order not to
rewrite "Francoise" into "Françoise" when XMP will be supported ? Or is it
safer, regarding the status of char-encoding right now, to create "Francoise"
and then "migrate" it later when the "ç" will be supported (but I cannot think
of any easy way to do it automatically) ?

Note : Char encoding is a mess by itself ...;-)