[Digikam-users] IPTC handling and limits

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Wed Sep 12 20:09:35 BST 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:43:12PM -0400, Gilles Caulier wrote:

>   . this field is 64 byte wide and can only store full ASCII characters
>

> yes

But I read somewhere that keyword is a multi-value field, so the 64B limit is only for one keyword but I can have unlimited number of keyword. Is that true ?
To be clear, if in digikam I assign, for a picture the following flags :

people/family/thomas
people/family/laurence
animals/cats/timi
can I have any number of those saved in IPTC keywords as long as each of them (such as people/family/thomas) is less then 64B long ?

> Note : XMP support is under developpement and will be available for next
> release 0.10.0 (KDE4). XMP remplace IPTC-IIM.
>
> All these limits will disapears : UTF-8, no size restriction, etc.
> kipi-plugin to edit metadata will be updated of course.

Quite interesting indeed.

Will there be some way to migrate existing IPTC flags or should I wait (since I
'm only begining to use tagging (so it may not be too late for me) ?

> yes, it's truncated automaticly by Exiv2 library.

Ok, what about accents (I think I put some in tag names before knowing it
wasn't supported)  : are they skipped ?

> What do you mean by picture _location_ ?

My idead was to assign a tag representing the place the picture was taken (the
city, ...). But I thought that maybe it's right place was in the location
related IPTC fields, rather than into a keyword field which just "emulate" the
former.

> Regards

Thanks for your answers and your wonderful efforts!