[Digikam-users] Color Managed View - How?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Sep 1 02:29:04 BST 2007

> Am Friday 24 August 2007 schrieb Paul Waldo:
> > Gerhard Kulzer wrote:

> > > You are correct, in order to color-manage, digiKam needs to have a
> > > monitor profile.
> > >
> > > Gerhard
> >
> > Yes, and monitor profiles are created by programs like Xcalib and
> > Argyll, aren't they?  I'm confused as to how profiling applications can
> > be taken out of the loop....
> >
> > Paul
>
> Xcalib and Argyll are programs that apply a color profile to X, so all
> programs are automatically color-managed as far as the monitor is concerned
> (that means that the monitor is somewhat more neutral in its color
> rendering,
> missing color lobes can't be displayed of course, and notebooks are terribly
> bad when it come to photographs, no whatever sophisticated color management
> can correct that).
>
> Xcalib and Argyll don't manage other devices than screens. So they are
> partial color managers.
>
> Gerhard

Paul and Gerhard,

After looking at the answers that Paul received to his question I concluded
that there was a significant amount of misinformation in those replies.  As a
result I joined this email list in the hope that I could clear up some of
these misconceptions.  Let me start off with a very quick overview.

Color managing a display or monitor is divided into two parts but only one of
these is really the color management part.  One of these is called
calibration and the other is called characterization.   Characterization is
the part that is really color management.

This is a confusing point for most new users of color management in that they
tend to think that color management is about calibration.   This, of course,
is not the case.  Calibration is a process where a device it brought into
some defined state by making adjustments to it's controls or some other
physical means.  For example, the act of calibrating a monitor involves
adjusting its white point, black level, luminosity and gamma to predetermined
or standard values using the monitors controls and by altering the video card
gamma ramp.

In many cases software for profiling monitors, like LProf or the set of
utilities in ArgyllCMS, also have the ability to calibrate displays as part
of the profiling process and this is another reason that this is confusing to
many users.  The main point is that these are different and that you as a
user of color management need to have at least a basic understanding of the
difference.  Note that calibration affects everything that is displayed (well
almost since Xv video playback by passes the video card gamma tables in many
current x11 drivers) not just applications that are color management aware
like Digikam or Krita.

In contrast to calibration the process of creating a profile is a
characterization of the device that does not involve making any changes or
adjustments to the device.  Rather it is a measurement process that results
in a file that contains a precise mathematical description of the devices
color and tonality characteristics.  This file is an ICC profile.  These
characteristics include the transfer function from the devices color space to
a standardized absolute color space (this is called a Profile Color Space,
PCS, in an ICC profile), the devices white point, black point, primaries and
other information.  Displays are normally characterized (profiled) in their
calibrated state.

To summarize calibration makes changes to the device to alter it's color
reproduction characteristics to conform to some predetermined state.
Profiling or characterization is a measurement process that results in a
detailed description of the device's (normally calibrated) color reproduction
characteristics.

In ArgyllCMS dispcal is used to calibrate the display, dispread is used to
create a set of measurements that are used to create a profile (IE. to
characterize the display) and profile is used to create a profile using the
files created by dispcal and dispread.   In LProf these functions are
combined into a single GUI wizard rather than being separate programs.

ArgyllCMS also includes a program named dispwin that can read either an ICC
profile that contains gamma table calibration data (called a VCGT tag) or use
the file created by dispcal directly to apply the calibration to the video
card gamma table.  This is also what xcalib does only xcalib can only use an
ICC profile with a VCGT tag.  LProf does not contain a gamma loader and it's
users are encouraged to use either xcalib or dispwin.

The point here is that you can characterize (IE. profile) your display in
either a calibrated or uncalibrated state and you can use the resulting
profiles in any color management aware application.  The main differences are
that if you calibrate your display before profiling all of your applications
benefit, even those that are not color management aware, and the adjustments
being made as a result of using the display profile in a CM aware application
will be somewhat better because the color space transform will be making
smaller adjustments to the image as it is displayed.

Based on this I am not sure why Digikam would need to have some setting
specifically for this.  In addition, even the sentence from the Digikam
docs "The Use color managed view is an alternative to using Xcalib or Argyll.
Only your image will be color managed, not your entire screen!" seems to
contain some misinformation since with current implementations of x11,
Windows and OS/X the most that you can achieve for the whole display is that
the display is well calibrated but not color managed.  None of these systems
do color management of the whole display and only color management aware
software running on these systems can give you color managed results.

Also just for clarity xcalib is a video card gamma table loader and it does
not have any functionality for creating profiles or for doing the actual
calibration (IE. measurements, adjustments and gamma table creation).   In
addition, ArgyllCMS is actually a complete CM solution.  It allows you to
profile scanners, displays and printers if you have the proper equipment.  It
is however a set of command line utilities and is not very user friendly.

I hope this helped.

Hal