[Digikam-users] Newbie questions

Samuel Rosset samuel.rosset at bluewin.ch
Wed Oct 31 18:58:48 GMT 2007

> > -Kipi plug-in related (I know this is not the best place to ask this
> > question...) : I have used the gallery export plug-in to export an album
> > to my online gallery 1.x. I had some encoding troubles : I have some
> > accented letters in my comments, and these were messed up after the
> > upload to my gallery. The problem is that I haven't found a way to set
> > the encoding, neither in Digikam, nor in gallery.
>
> Which comments? Digikam supports several of them... Digikam comments,
> EXIF comments and IPTC comments. Digikam and EXIF comments support
> non-ascii characters.

Well, I don't know, but the comments used with the gallery export plug-in are
probably the ones stored in the database. But apparently, IPTC comments
support extended (8bit) ASCII,because my accented letters éàè etc. are
correctly displayed in the IPTC field.
So to sum up, let's say I have a comment with the word "montée", it is
properly displayed in Digikam, in the EXIF and IPTC fields (checked with the
metadata tab). If I open the gallery export plug-in and want to add this
photo to an album, the comment is still displayed correctly, but if I then go
to my gallery page, the new photo I uploaded shows the following
comment : "Montée". So there is clearly a mismatched with the encoding
(maybe between UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1), but again, I don't see any option in
gallery or digikam, to select the desired encoding. Has someone seen this
kind of problem?

Sam