[Digikam-users] tags, rating and comments in TIFF files

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:48:27 BST 2007

2007/10/22, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de>:

Piotr, Using libtiff to write metadata is not the right way . Libtiff
require to rewrite the full image, not to set only tags in metadata section
of file.

Note : Coments, rating, etc are already writed in TIFF file when you save
image from Editor... But of course this is not yet done in fly like with
JPEG from Album view.

digikam uses exiv2 to access and write meta-data.
> Support for tiff is being worked on (see http://www.exiv2.org/),
> but I don't know the current status.

TIFF writing IO with Exiv2 will be the next job to do . Currently, XMP is
the main task for next Exiv2 release 0.16 planed to December. TIFF writing
mode is temporaly stopped.

Few developement have been already done but not yet finalized...

So to me it seems that for a proper solution to
> the problem you discuss, it should be done on the level of exiv2.

Gilles, and Andreas will be able to give a more detailed account on this,
> but I would suggest to get Andreas Huggel's from exiv2 opinion first,
> before you start hacking ;-)

Andreas is not in this room, only in digikam-devel ML. You can contact him
directly at "ahuggel at gmx dot net" or using Exiv2 ML

I am sure that contributions are very welcome!

yes TIFF writting mode is very important for the future

Gilles