[Digikam-users] GPS Logger

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Oct 20 17:14:40 BST 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Markus Spring wrote:

[...]
> Maybe the new version of the Sony GPS is better - at least my version looses
> track in buildings or heavily shaded areas like big cities. That's the reason
> why I will wear it attached with velcro on the shoulder part of my camera bag
> instead of having it dangle from my belt.

In buildings also the DG-100 will usually fail (though sometimes
it does not ;-). Whenever the free sight is blocked
so that only few satellites are visible for the device,
this leads to larger errors.
Also, when the device is at rest, there can be
quite substantial fluctuations in position.
Somehow it seems that for example Garmin devices
deal better with such situations (I only compared it once  with a
track from Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx which has a SirfStar III), but
they are a bit more expensive ..

Anyway, having geo-referenced images + track is pretty cool
to have, and there are many things in this direction
which can be done for digikam in the future ...

Best, Arnd