[Digikam-users] Jpeg export changes image

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Oct 20 08:17:33 BST 2007

Hi Hal,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Hal V. Engel wrote:

[... very helpful explanation snipped...]

> You might be able to find profiles that are specific to other workflows such
> as the profiles from Nikon that are specific to the Nikon RAW software on the
> net.  But those profiles will not be correct for my workflow and probably not
> yours either.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation - obviously,
there is a lot I have to learn about color management ... ;-)

This brings me back to *my* usual "can't this be simpler?"
(which seems also in the spirit of Bill's last mail ;-).
Well, to do things really right, one needs to create profiles
in the way you explained before.

However, for many users (at least for me) it would be sufficient
(at least to start with) to
  "for my raw file produce an image which looks
   *essentially* the same as the jpg"
The benefit compared to using the jpg are more Bits and
no jpg artifacts (and no sharpening etc.).
((By essentially I mainly mean white-balance and brightness.
Presumably, there is no way (and it would not make sense)
to fully mimick the jpg, as this already may involve
a lot of other post-processing, like levels adjustment,
some filtering, sharpening, etc.; but yes, this "essentially"
is a weak point in the argument ;-))

So the question is, whether for example the available ICC profiles
(e.g. for bibblepro which also uses dcraw) are good enough
to use with digikam, or what could be done (if possible at all)
on the side of digikam to make things work as easy as possible
for the user.
Of course, this will not be the 100% solution you described
(as for example it cannot take the light conditions into account),
but might be ok for many situations ....

Personally, for me the next important step will be to buy
a device (which works under linux) for screen calibration,
as to me this seems my biggest problem in the workflow
of getting reliable prints at the lab.

Thanks a lot for your time and expertise, it is really
very much appreciated!!

Best, Arnd