[Digikam-users] Can digiKam read jpeg's IPTC.Urgency tag set outside?

BillChan billypchan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 14:25:15 BST 2007

Hello,
I am a new Ubuntu user and found DigiKam is a great photo tool. I have
thousands of photo shot with my Nikon D80, managed with Picasa for
windows previously. Now I move them to my Ubuntu PC and wrote a Perl
script to 'copy' the Picasa's star to DigiKam...

I use Perl's exiftool module to do it, but something strange happened...
This is part of my script:

my $exifTool = new Image::ExifTool;
$tag = '1IPTC:Urgency';

foreach $file (@arFiles)
{
$info = $exifTool->ImageInfo($file,$tag2);$success =
$exifTool->SetNewValue($tag, '7'); #set rating to 1 star
$exifTool->WriteInfo($file);
}

then select the photos in DigiKam, and click 'more->read metadata from
file to database' on right panel and hope it work...

The problem is, when $file is a .NEF file(Nikon raw) it works great. But
   if is a .jpg file(major of my collections), The star doesn't appear
in DigiKam. I try to set the star for the .jpg in DigiKam and I can find
IPTC.Urgency tag is updated.

Any Help?

Regard,
Bill Chan