[Digikam-users] Digikam slow

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:25:27 GMT 2007

The system: Ubuntu Feisty on AMD Duron 1.3 GHz, 1GB RAM, KDE 3.5.6,
Digikm 0.9.2, 13,100 pictures in Digikam library which is on it's own
disk partition. KDE thumbnails cache opened up to 100MB.

The problem: Digikam is so slow that it is nearly unusable. When we
open a folder/album in digikam we must wait 8 seconds before we see
thumbnails. Then, they trickle in at 0.87 sec per thumbnail (200
thumbnails in two minutes, 54 seconds on the clock). When a photo is
deleted, we wait 8 seconds before there is any UI reaction.

All apps run sluggish on this machine, but Digikam is really bad. What
can I do to tweak it a bit? I may be an old timer, but in my opinion a
1300 MHz processor (with 1024MB RAM) should not be this bad.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il