[Digikam-users] Comments in png files

Caspar Maessen cmaessen at casco.demon.nl
Sat Nov 10 07:47:23 GMT 2007

Op zaterdag 10 november 2007, schreef Paweł Marciniak:

  > I still haven't solved my problem :( The png files in question are
  > have been created and touched only by digiKam, no other program.
  > Is anyone able to help?

As I umderstand it right, your problem is converting your png-files to
jpg's, while preserving the metadata. I would suggest to use
imagemagick and exiftools.

Part of the imagemagick suite is the command convert:
>convert /path/to/file.png jpg:/path/to/file.jpg

With exiftools you can copy over the exif and makernote tags from the
png to the jpg-file:
>exiftool -m -fast -P -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile /path/to/file.png -all:all /path/to/file.jpg

These are both very powerfull commands, with a lot of possibilities.
Have a look at the docs and play with them. But, I advice you strongly
while you are experimenting, to do this on just a few images, and make
a backup of them first, before handling your whole collection.

Caspar.