[Digikam-users] Future direction of digikam?

Ravi Swamy rkswamy at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 9 21:25:43 GMT 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Arnd Baecker wrote:

>> I'm specifically interested in the "workflow" aspects.
>
> The workflow aspect is definitively a very important one,
> and in my opinion in this area a lot of improvements
> are possible. Getting a  workflow design is non-trivial,
> so any ideas/suggestions/ (code ;-) is very welcome!
>
>>  I'm doing my yearly
>> reevaluation and I'm thinking of switching from Picasa/UFraw/GIMP to Lightroom
>> on my Macbook.
>
> Lightroom is surely a good product, judging from the reviews
> (So I am not going to bash it, in particular because I haven't used
> it ;-).

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to code.  Most of the code I write
at work is command line stuff for engineers with very little user interfaces.

Do any of the developers have access to Windows or OS X?  If I made a donation
would you consider using it to purchase a copy of Lightroom or Aperture?
Would you be willing to use it, watch these tutorials:

http://www.whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/Photoshop_LR/08/index.html

and then ask questions to users here about how they use a feature or
why a feature is important so you can understand how to implement an even
better version in digikam?  Clone was a poor choice of worlds but I think
Lightroom is a good model that can be improved upon.  Also, anybody that
can make a decent image is a real photographer regardless of camera used,
software, or experience level.