[Digikam-users] Future direction of digikam?

Ravi Swamy rkswamy at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 9 19:59:35 GMT 2007

I'm wondering what the future direction is for digikam and who the target
user is.  I'm a serious amateur and do a few paid things. I shoot about
75% RAW, 25% JPEG, 50-1000 shots per session.

I'm specifically interested in the "workflow" aspects.  I'm doing my yearly
reevaluation and I'm thinking of switching from Picasa/UFraw/GIMP to Lightroom
on my Macbook.  I'm checking out digikam too and trying to see where it's
going.  After reading some comments in the bugzilla entry for the light table
it seems like the authors were at least somewhat interested in cloning
Aperture or Lightroom.  I love open source software but its usually
written for programmers by programmers not always what the end user wants.
The comments on the light table bugzilla entry showed to me that the authors
of digikam were different and actually listening to real photographers.

If anyone is interested I could elaborate further.  If not thanks for
a nice and improving program.