[Digikam-users] raw (CR2) thumbnail generation

Enrico enrico at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 21:52:56 GMT 2007

Hallo Everybody!

I'm a "digital photographer", and I would like to ask you a question, that still haven't found answers after my researches. I'm not so expert, but before asking to you, I checked on the documentation and in Internet, no results.

When I download raw (.CR2) photos from my digital SLR, I used to convert them in this way:

dcraw -T -w *.CR2

..and I got "standard" tiff pictures. Then, I installed Digikam, and I got similar results using the raw batch converter, leaving the recommended settings (use camera white balance, automatic color balance), only changing the savefiles to TIFF.

But what really shocks me is this: as soon as I download the CR2, Digikam shows the thumbnail...and the thumbnail of CR2 has better colors than the thumbnail of the converted TIFF!!!
My question is: which parameters are used to generate the thumbnail from the CR2? I suppose that dcraw is used.

I can show you the difference here: www.biofisica.it/disordered/digi.png - I hope the question is clear.

Thank you in advance, and excuse me for the disturb.

Enrico