[Digikam-users] Using tags faster

Olivier Thiery olivier.th at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 21:26:49 GMT 2007

Hi,

I recently spent some (lot of) time again on tagging my pictures and had an
idea about a feature request concerning the Comments / Tags panel.

Here is how I usually proceed with my tens of tags:

Say I go on a two-weeks trip somewhere and get back with hundreds of
pictures. After having chosen the good ones and deleted the other ones with
the wonderful new lighttable, I still have (a few less) hundreds of pictures
that I want to associate with tags.

I first select all the pictures in every folder concerning the trip,
associate them with the same 'trip' tag and select that tag in the Tags
panel to get a single view of all my pictures. There begins the pain.

I manually select all the pictures I want to associate with the same tag,
then search for the tag I want to associate the pictures to (either by
browsing the tree or using the search option), add the tags and go selecting
again. This is fine for a few pictures and a few tags, but comes to be a
real pain with hundreds of pictures and tens of tags. To me the main problem
is that I have either to click several times and scroll the tree to get the
right tag or type its name to find it (thus constantly switching from using
the mouse to using the keyboard). Both ways do the job but are slow.

Now the idea: most of the time I know in advance the small subset of tags I
will want to associate with the same set of pictures. So I would like to be
able to create some transient tag bookmarks inside the Comments / tags panel
or get a list of all the tags used in the current pictures view, so I can
just reselect them fast instead of having to search for them again in the
whole tree.

I know this is just the cherry on top of the wonderful cake. I've been using
Digikam for years now and like it more each time a new version is out.

Thank you,

Olivier