[Digikam-users] Migration from Photoshop

Peter Nijs peter at familienijs.be
Sun Mar 18 12:03:39 GMT 2007

The IPTC function seems very usefull. Sadly enough, Photoshop Album version
2.0 (the one I have) can't export the tag information to the metadata. I've
heard version 3.0 can, I can't find a demo. Adobe dicontinued it I think. And
one of my computers can't run version 3.0. Also, I don't have the image files
on my windows partition of my better pc anymore. I've only got a copy of the
Photoshop album databases. (I'm migrating on two computers).

I think the easiest way is to make a script that reads the .txt file and puts
the tag information in the image's metadata. Than wait for Digikam version
0.9.1 to be available in suse rpm. I think this won't take long anymore. I
can install 0.9.0 via an unofficial source via yast. Using this way doesn't
require messing around with the Digikam database, which is kind of a relief
for me.

I think I can also recreate the txt file so it only contains the actual tag it
is tagged with, and not the entire tag-tree. I don't have that many tags, so
I can reorganise them. (There are no 2 tags with the same name.)

The first extract will look like this than:

---->
d:\documenten van peter\mijn
afbeeldingen\fotoapp\DSCN1655.JPG;615;photo;online;2004-07-07
 20:27:35;"";"Gemporteerde afbeeldingen"\"Import (29/07/2004
14:21:43)";"Amerika";"Chinatown";"San Francisco";"VSA"
<----

Maybe I can also make PSATool only output the filename without the full path.
I'll try to make the output as usefull as it kan get for me.
I've just seen that most images have filenames in lowercase and some in
uppercase. And all filenames in my txt file are in uppercase. This might give
problems in Linux.

Thank for the help.

Peter Nijs