[Digikam-users] Migration from Photoshop

Peter Nijs peter at familienijs.be
Fri Mar 16 22:21:16 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate from Adobe Photoshop Album. I've got over 5k photo's, so
re-tagging isn't an option. So I'm trying to automate this. With the
tool "PSATool" I've managed to put the tag information from Photoshop in a
text file. Here's a small sample of the file.

--BEGIN EXTRACT--
d:\documenten van peter\mijn
afbeeldingen\fotoapp\DSCN1655.JPG;615;photo;online;2004-07-07
20:27:35;"";"Gemporteerde afbeeldingen"\"Import (29/07/2004
14:21:43)";"Plaatsen"\"USA"\"Amerika";"Plaatsen"\"USA"\"Chinatown";"Plaatsen"\"USA"\"San
Francisco";"Verzameling"\"VSA"
--END EXTRACT--

Each line in the file represents one picture. It contains the filename and tag
information plus some, for me, irrelevant information.
Till the first semicolon: The path in Windows. Only the filename is relevant
to me since all the pictures are in the same folder on my linux box. Note
that this is not the case on my windows-installation.
Than, the next relevant information starts just past the "import date".
Everything past here is tag information. Each tag is seperated by a
semicolon. For example "Amerika" is a subtag from "USA", wich is a subtag
from "Plaatsen". This picture should get the tags Amerika, Chinatown, San
Francisco and VSA.

I'll give some more extracts with some curiosities.

---->
d:\documenten van peter\mijn
afbeeldingen\fotoapp\canon\IMG_4957.JPG;2342;photo;online;2005-03-30
15:40:30;"";"Gemporteerde afbeeldingen"\"Import (4/09/2005 17:03:34)";"Canon"
<----

Note the different folder this image was stored in. It should get the tag
Canon.

---->
D:\Documenten van Peter\Mijn
afbeeldingen\fotoapp\DSCN3144.MOV;2533;video;online;2005-11-19
13:41:56;"";"Gemporteerde afbeeldingen"\"Import (3/12/2005
17:27:48)";"Mensen"\"Familie"\"Sander";"Bezigheden"\"Paardrijden";"Filmpjes"\"Paardrijden -
filmpjes"
<----

Note that this is not a picture. This line doesn't have to be imported. But if
it was a picture it should get the tags Sander, Bezigheden and "Paardrijden -
filmpjes".
The tag "Sander" has to be located in the 'super'tag "Familie" wich should be
in the 'super'tag "Mensen".

All my images are stored in /home/peter/Pictures/ now. So with no
sub-directories.

I'm using version 0.8.2 of DigiKam on KDE 3.5.5 on openSuse10.2. I haven't
upgraded to the latest version because the suse packagers haven't put the
latest vesion in their update program. And I don't like to mess around with
something that is already working great.

I'd like to have this information into the digikam-database, but I don't have
a clue of how to do it. For the moment the database only contains my pictures
which are all contained in the same album. So no tag information is thare at
all.

I've got very few experience in programming and SQL. Lets say I can read it,
but not write.

If I can get passed this problem, I'll finaly be able to really use this
wonderfull program. Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Nijs
(sorry about my bad English. If something isn't clear, just ask for a
clarification.)