[Digikam-users] colour profile trouble with Raw

Sebastian Kraft sebastian_kraft at gmx.de
Wed Mar 7 14:41:18 GMT 2007

Gilles Caulier wrote:

> icc Pentax camera profiles from BibblePro don't work ?

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/BBP.4.9.5/pentax1.icm

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/BBP.4.9.5/pentax3.icm

They are quite good. But the output is still a bit different from the
original bibble output. Colors aren't as intensive and the whole picture
has a more grey look. It's not much difference, but it can easily be seen
by a/b comparison. The output of digicam isn't as brilliant(?) as the
bibble one.(all modifications in bibble turned off)

If you are interested I will upload some samples to my webspace. But OK...
these differences can be ignored... nobody will know if bibble or dcraw
produces the exact and right colors...

All in all color management is a complicated topic for beginners. The first
mistake I made in the beginning was to compare the preview or 8bit tif from
digicam without color management with the 16bit tif(with CM). I didn't know
that there can be so much difference beetween using color management and
not using it when I "only" convert from RAW to TIFF.

Would be good if there are some more explanations and infos about how to set
up colormanagement and about the basics behind it on the digikam website
(or just a link to some good sites). Also some example pictures that show
how different, or wrong profiles affect the output can help new users...

Conclusion: best results with most pictures from istDL2
        input profile: pentax1.icm
        output profile: srgb.icm from bibble

One little question left: Is there any difference if I take a sRGB profile
from bibble or anywhere else? If I understood everything right there
shouldn't be any differences, but I'm not 100% sure...

Thanks for your help!