[Digikam-users] Fixing compressed digital photos

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Jun 30 08:31:27 BST 2007

Hi Dotan,

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Lifehacker did a writeup on a Windows app that cleans up compressed
> photos rather nicely:
> http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/fix-your-old-digital-pics-with-jpeg-enhancer-273502.php
>
> Is this feasable to add to Digikam? Is there another Linux app that
> can do something similar? I have many pictures from the wife's camera
> phone that were shot before I had the chance to change the settings.

First one has to find a good algorithm to do the job,
in the comments it is written that a deringer+deblocker
would presumably do the job.

Have a look at
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/demonstration.html
In particular (move mous-over the image to see the difference)
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/img/res_gnome.html
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/img/res_reno.html
Does this roughly do what you want?

Greycstoration is included in digikam, though I have never tried
that myself before (in particular, whether the above
routines are accessible)...
Try it out  and please report back!

Best, Arnd