[Digikam-users] jpeg compression

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Jun 27 21:57:14 BST 2007

Hi Bjoern,

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, [iso-8859-1] Bjørn Kvisli wrote:

> Hi
> I had set up Digikam with 100% jpeg quality, and I found that the files got
> very big when I saved them after editing. Is it possible to say what is a
> resonable value for this setting?

I think it is hard to tell in general. It might depend on
the picture and the purpose you have in mind.
You could try to save the same image with different values
(e.g. 85%, 90%, 92%, 95%, 97%, 100%) and look at the size
variation (please report also here, would be interesting ;-).
In general, when you have a lossless format in mind,
you should also consider saving as png.

Best, Arnd