[Digikam-users] bugs and wishes review

Jakob Østergaard joe at evalesco.com
Tue Jun 5 21:31:51 BST 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 22:20:08 Arnd Baecker wrote:
> So you only modified the configure in graphics
> (but not the one in libs), right?

Right.

> So it seems that a solution would be to ensure
> that PKG_CONFIG_PATH always comes first in the configure?

No. That would reverse the fundamentally broken usage of pkg-configure in a
manner so that it would work in my particular setup (and yours) but break in
other setups (where path given to the linker will again differ from the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH).

It is the concept of having a PKG_CONFIG_PATH that is broken; the variable
should not exist because it does not in any way relate to what paths the
linker will search - what ever you set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to, it will either
be "accidentally correct" or just plain wrong.

Or, maybe I completely misunderstood the entire thing in which case I
apologize and look forward to being enlightened :)

> Gilles + other configure experts:
> is this something which can be fixed on the digikam side?

Personally, I think it would be very simple to version-check libraries that
one controls (like libkdcraw) with a test program that uses the linker to
link to the library and prints out a version string from the library. That
would, by definition, always link to the library the linker chooses, and thus
always print the correct answer.

But again, I am in no way a configure expert and I could easily be missing a
great deal of real-world configure details :)

> (I don't really know anything about configure and all that ...)

Thanks for your help and feedback, that was really useful!

--
Jakob Østergaard