[Digikam-users] Photoshop and the Gimp

Graham sweeney276 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:12:13 BST 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:02:56 +0200
Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl> wrote:

> Dnia piątek 13 lipiec 2007, Graham napisał:
> >
> > Do any on this forum know of any application for Linux that is
> > totally Photoshop compatible, even down to the same type of
> > interface?.....
>
> I think nothing is totally Photoshop compatible because of its size :)
>
> There is program which looks like carbon copy of interface: Pixel
>
> http://www.kanzelsberger.com/
>
> Not free.
>
> I would be very interested in real experiences with this program.

So would I: it looks interesting!

To correct some information I gave in a previous posting, here is the
details of the book I've found:

Title: GIMP2 for Photographers
Author: Klaus Golker
Pages:200
ISBN-10: 1933952032; ISBN-13: 978-1933952031

This text evolved from the classroom materials the author
developed and used in courses and workshops on image editing with the
GIMP. It covers the basics of image editing and guides the reader
through the functions and tools of GIMP from simple adjustments to more
advanced techniques with layers and masks. Image Editing has become a
key element in the photographic workflow. Image editing tools, most
notably Photoshop, are usually sophisticated and deep applications -
and fairly expensive. The only open source tool in this market is the
GIMP, which has developed into a powerful multiplatform system, running
on Linux, as well as OS X and Windows. This book has evolved from the
classroom materials the author developed and used in courses and
workshops on Image Editing with the GIMP. It covers the basics of image
editing and guides the reader through the functions and tools of GIMP
from simple adjustments ! to more advanced techniques with layers and
masks. The more important editing functions are presented in individual
workshops. Moreover, the book covers the stitching of panoramic images
and preparation of high-quality black and white images. 1 Basics 12
Using the GIMP : correcting and touching up your images 313 Using masks
and layers - painting, filling, and color tools 814 Working with
black-and-white and color images 1575 Appendix 179

Apparently the author runs courses on digital photography using the
GIMP in Germany, and the text is taken from his classroom notes with
feedback from students.  Might be a good investment for my course.....

The price quoted is usually around the £20 mark, but I see Amazon are
selling it with "Beginning GIMP: From Novice To Professional" for
£47.63.  It's a bit on the expensive side but nowhere near expensive as
buying Photoshop (around £600 when I last looked!).

HTH

--

Graham