[Digikam-users] Photoshop and the Gimp

Graham sweeney276 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:41:27 BST 2007

On Friday 13 Jul 2007, Colin Guthrie wrote:

[snipped]
> > Do any on this forum know of any application for Linux that is
> > totally Photoshop compatible, even down to the same type of
> > interface?.....
>
> No I unfortunately do not but perhaps other will.
>
> Have you raised this problem with the course organisers? Perhaps the
> course is aimed at Photoshop but the principles in terms of image
> manipulate should also be achievable in other applications. I would
> have though a good portion of the course would cover basic image
> editing and manipulation using colour adjustment and unsharp mask
> etc.

Yes, I have raised it and explained that the nearest software that I
have is Gimpshop, as I am a total Linux user.  They look at me
quizzically and ask if is that a version of MacOS because there is a
version of Photoshop for the Mac....

> In this case, it should be the theory behind the changes you are
> making that is important to you rather than the "what to click in
> photoshop to make your photo better" approach. Gaining this level of
> understanding (I wont pretend I know anything about it!) would, to
> me, seem like the best learning outcome to take from such a course.

The course is one for digital photography, but involves a fair amount
relating to Photoshop.  The extra brushes, effects, etc which are the
subject of the software handouts, are Photoshop specific.  One of the
course books is "Digital Image Making: A Complete Visual Guide For
Photographers" by Les Meehan is totally Photoshop-based even down to
shortcuts through the menus to get to the desired effects tools.  I've
tried doing this with Gimpshop without success for the most part.  If I
could get a How-To to find out how to do the same thing in Gimp or
Gimpshop as I can do in Photoshop, it would be a help.

> If you tell the course organisers that you do now own Photoshop and
> that you run Linux and will therefore use the Gimp and (seeing as we
> are in this room!) the Digikam Image Editor to complete your
> assignments, perhaps they will support you as best they can and
> perhaps your findings and feedback will help produce alternative
> course notes for other students who want to use Gimp (even on
> Windows) or Digikam.

I've done that, because you can use the Gimp in Windows and (I think)
under MacOSX, and it is a free, open source, alternative option that
should be promoted.  As I've explained, Linux is not part of the
computer worlds which the course leaders are familiar with.  Also,
there appears to be no books available on coversion of Photoshop
operations to the Gimp.  This is an area which calls out for a REALLY
good book....

> I know that Photoshop has substantially more options than Gimp or DIE
> and this is fine, but I guess you have to ask yourself if you are
> only installing Windows/Photoshop to complete the course and will
> then revert back to Linux or if you will stick to Photoshop into the
> future after your course.

Well, I've just found out that CrossOver Office supports Photoshop in
various versions, so that would DEFINITELY be a cheaper option than
buying another PC, and seems the option to follow for the course.
Looking at the Codeweavers website I should avoid v 3.0 and CS but
v4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 are known to work with Crossover Office.

Yet it still might be an opportunity to evangelise KDE, digiKam, and
Gimp without the high cost overhead.

> If the latter then I would suggest struggling through the course with
> the tools you will use in the future would allow you to gain more
> knowledge?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Also, although the later versions don't run too well, PS7 is
> supported pretty well under Wine:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=17
>
> HTH
>
> Col.

Thanks for your help.  Since looking around I've found a book
called "The Digital Photographer's Guide To The Gimp" (or something
similar!), so if its not too expensive, my course leaders might each
get a copy.....

- --

Graham