[Digikam-users] Photoshop and the Gimp

Andy Choens andy.choens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:29:59 BST 2007

> Do any on this forum know of any application for Linux that is totally
> Photoshop compatible, even down to the same type of interface?.....

I think Krita deserves a mention in this discussion. It is a native KDE
application that in some ways is a better photoshop replacement than the
venerable Gimp. As I see it, the OP has 3 separate requirements. These are:

1) File Compatibility w/ Photoshop
2) Plugin Compatibility w/ Photoshop
3) Feature/Interface Compatibility w/ Photoshop

File Compatibility - This is important if the instructor provides
specific .psd files for you to manipulate. It would also be important if the
instructor asks you to submit your work as a .psd file. It appears as though
the Gimp has some ability to open .psd files, but this support is less than
perfect since the modern Photoshop format is proprietary and closed. Krita
does not appear to be able to open .psd files.

These links struck me as interesting, and potentially useful. Disclaimer: I
have never used the Gimp to open, edit or save a .psd file.
https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/2005-November/006847.html
and
https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/2006-January/007176.html

I think you should talk to the instructor about using file formats that are
openly documented. TIFF, PNG, and Krita files come to mind . . . although the
latter might be problematic for the instructor!

Plugin Compatibility is important if the instructor is providing plugins which
you must use. The Gimp appears to have some rudimentary support for photoshop
plugins.

These links offer a lot of information about using photoshop plugins in the
gimp. Krita does not offer any support for photoshop plugins.
http://members.home.nl/m.weisbeek/gimp/#ps
and
http://www.linux.com/articles/53398

Feature/Interface Compatibility - This is where, IMHO Krita really shines
compared to Gimp. For starters, you get a layout that is photoshop-like,
without having to hack the program. It is not identical (neither is
gimpshop), but it is very similar.

Krita Screenshots - http://www.koffice.org/krita/screenshots.php

It also has a number of important features that the Gimp currently lacks. For
starters, Krita can work in multiple colorspaces like LAB that the Gimp can
not work in. If your class gets into serious color management, you will have
to do some work in LAB. Speaking of color management, Digikam and Krita are
both capable of doing color management. Krita and photoshop both allow you to
have nested layers, which are truly amazing and useful. But, using Krita as a
drop-in replacement will take some effort. Some tools are different in Krita
than they are in photoshop. For example, there is no obvious dodge or burn
tool in the menu. Instead, you can "Paint with Filters" which give you the
same (and MUCH more) effects.

It is my understanding that the Gimp developers are working on adding some of
these features to the next version of the Gimp, but Krita can do this today.
So, in many ways, Krita is a better interface/feature replacement but it
lacks a couple of useful things that the Gimp has.

My 10 cents of advice: Talk to the professor and see what compatibilty is
absolutely required to successfully complete the course. You may wind up
using multiple tools if you want to use ONLY open source tools. That being
said, a copy of Cross-Over Office will let you (supposedly) run up to
Photoshop 9, which may be enough for the course.

--andy