[Digikam-users] tag hierachies (again!)

tgdksub at fastmail.fm tgdksub at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 12 14:42:42 BST 2007

Hello all,

I have two questions about tag hierarchies in Digikam and "Bug 139547: tag
hierarchy automatic fill".  (FYI, I'm running the SVN version on Gentoo.)

1)  As I see it, there are four ways to apply tags in Digikam.  But the "auto
fill" feature is only implemented for two of these, and possibly only works
fully for one, as below.  Is this correct?   Or am I doing something wrong?

	1. Drop image onto tag in "My Tags" tree (does not auto apply parents - not
implemented?)
	2. Drag and drop tag from  "Tag Filters" onto image (does not auto apply
parents - although implemented)
	3.  Right click context menu (does not auto apply parents - not implemented?)
	4. Use Comments/Tags right-pane.  (does apply auto-parents correctly)

I think for consistency and to avoid confusion, it should work the same way
everywhere if possible - ie, if user has selected to automatically apply
parent tags, then that should occur no matter how they apply the tag.

I understand that this may be too much effort, with the Qt4 port underway and
alternative tagging methods being discussed (eg bug 114465 among others).  If
so, is the behaviour described above in option 2 a valid bug?  I'd be happy
to open a bug report if someone else can confirm.

2)   Second question:  with "auto-parents" selected, de-selecting one child
tag also de-selects the parent tag - even if other children exist.  Is this
the intended behaviour?  For example:

> People(X)
  >>People/John(X)
  >>People/Tony(X)

 de-selecting "Tony" from the tree above will also de-select "People".  I
would have thought it was more logical for the parent tag to be automatically
de-selected only when the last child is de-selected.

I'd be interested in thoughts or comments from other users.

thanks!
Tauri