[Digikam-users] 16-bit raw color management woes with Canon 30D

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jul 6 22:18:57 BST 2007

Raw color input profiles are driving me batty! In fact none of the profile
settings do anything. I have a Canon EOS 30D set to AdobeRGB. I have all of
the 6112 input profiles, which came with the camera, and are also available
here:
http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/CANON/Canon 30D/

This page tells which input profiles to match to the correct camera model:
http://www.maashoek.nl/color_profiles.html

But none of them work in Digikam. They make zero difference- 16-bit RAW images
are very dark, as they are supposed to be with no color management, and
applying the 6112 profiles does not change anything. So I tried some of the
files from
http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/LZ.2.0/

and these actually lighten the images a little bit, but they're still very
dark. There aren't any specifically for the 30D, and I haven't found any
elsewhere.

Has anyone been successful in using the 6112 input profiles? I love Digikam-
it's a great application that outperforms the Canon bundled software, and I
hate using Windows anyway. Is there some other workaround? Should I just cuss
Canon and take small comfort from that? :)

Kubuntu Feisty
Digikam version 0.9.1
RAW decoding settings:
16 bits