[Digikam-users] IPTC keywords and tag hierarchy

Gonçalo Valverde goncalo.valverde at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:12:50 GMT 2007

Hi all.
Currently digikam is saving the tags in a hierarchy in the same
keyword separated by a slash. For instance I have Lisboa as a child of
the tag places, and in the IPTC keyword this is save as
"Places/Lisboa". Althought this makes some sense, on the other hand
it's a bit contradictory with the way the tag appears in digiKam and
also a bit of a problem when you upload the file to flickr, because if
you search for files tagged with "Lisboa" this file won't appear.
Probably a best approach would be to save the tags in the hierarchy as
a separate keywords. In my example this would mean that we would have
two separate keywords: "Places" and "Lisboa".
Of course that an easy work-around would be to create the tags without
having them belonging to an hierarchy but that soon would be very hard
to manage once you have dozens of tags.
What is your opinion?

Best regards