[Digikam-users] Import album, but like link?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Dec 19 08:15:38 GMT 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:32:13PM +0000, Andrew Woodward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it posisble (using digiKam 0.9.0-rc1 on KDE 3.4.2) to import an album
> of pre-existing images into My Albums, BUT to have the import work like a
> link?
>
> I have several hundred images from an old camera that are stored in a
> separate directory which I now want to import to digiKam. However, when I
> import the images they are physically copied. All I want is some kind of
> link to their existing location so I can then tag them etc.

It's easy enough to do it from the command line, you can do one of two
things:-

    Add a symbolic link in the Digikam album hierarchy that points to
    the directory where the pictures are.

    Use the mv command to move the directory where the pictures are
    into the Digikam hierarchy.  Depending on whether the old and new
    locations are on the same disk drive or not this may be either
    instantaneous (just a rename) or it may actually copy the files
    and delete the old ones.  The effect is the same either way
    though.

--
Chris Green