[Digikam-users] New computer for Digikam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 16:58:53 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhardkgmx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you suggesting that I mount ~/.thumbnails as a separate ext2 (no
> > journal) partition? I thought that xfs and reiserfs are journaled like
> > ext3. Can you inform me better, or should I ask around on my distro's
> > mailing list?
>
> xfs, reiserfs and ext3 all come journaled by default, but you can disable it.
> That's not what I recommend, however. The trick is to format the partitions
> so that the journal is on another disk (not partition, important). Then you
> don't loose speed because of the journaling.
> $ mkfs.xfs -l logdev=/dev/sdb1,size=10000b /dev/sda1
> Mount ~/.thumbnails on a separate partion gains nothing.

So ~/.thumbnails will be on a partition who's journal is on another
disk. Would it be unwise to have another partition on the same disk as
.thumbnails? I suppose that I could put .thumbnails on the 160 GB IDE
(there's also a 500 GB IDE drive, and there will be yet a SATA drive
that will come with the machine.). Can the swap partition be on the
same disk as .thumbnails? The / filesystem? The /pictures partition,
on which Digikam stores it's photos? The /music partition, which
almost always has something playing in the background?

I'm sorry to ask such newbie questions, but I'm not finding anything
on my level when googling. I probably am not searching on the proper
terms. Actually, from what I've read today it would seem fine to not
have a journal at all, as the .thumbnails folder is not critical and
can be easily recreated in the event of power failure.

I very much appreciate the help, and I am learning a lot. More than I
wanted to :)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il