[Digikam-users] New computer for Digikam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 04:56:12 GMT 2007

On 08/12/2007, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not agree. A dual core is a 2 processors in same core.
>
> DigiKam use multithreading everywhere when it's possible : compute or
>
> With a dual core, the main thread (GUI) will run on first processor, and
> child thread will run on second processor. if clock speed is more slow than
> a fast single core processor, there is a real advantage to fork sub-tasks on
> a separate processor...
>
>  Currently, CImg based plugins use 2 sub-threads to work. This is perfectly
> adapted to dual core...
>
> I always recommend to use :
>
> - Intel processor instead AMD (Gcc give better result especially about
> speed)
> - 32 bits processors. 64 bits is a mess under Linux. 64 bits library need to
> use a 32 bits emulation like to run...

I was planning on going with a dual core processor. And although all
the current dual core processors support 64 bit, I install 32 bit on
the only one I own (Duo Core 2, 2GHz). When 64 bit gets more mature
I'll use it.

> In my office, we have 3 bigs computers using 48 / 64 / and 128 processors
> and running under linux. It's used by physicians to calc thermonuclear
> reaction simulation codes...
>
> The first one is an old Alpha processor based computer. Very fast
> The second one an AMD 64 bits processor.
> The third is a 32 bits Intel based processor.
>
> The AMD based give less speed result than Alpha and Intel computer.

So, what came first, the egg or the chicken? :)

> I have always use reiser FS under Linux. It's probably the best...

I'll look into it. Thanks. I'd like to hear what advantages you've
noticed, and what drawbacks as well.

> > digiKam don't ask much of graphic cards. But nowadays even good ones are
> > cheap, I bought a nvidia NT8600GT for less than 100 euros, has 260MB RAM,
> > passively cooled. And I wouldn't want to miss compiz anymore.
> > Think rather of a good monitor, we had this discussion already on this ML.
> > Photos require an excellent screen, notbooks are no good in general.
>
> In my office i always use ATI card. Pro-drivers are better quality than
> NVidia, especially to use OpenGL (with slideshow plugin for ex.)

Oh, no. I've got an ATI X1400 in my laptop. Nothing but problems. Yes,
I know that AMD has started releasing documentation to develop the
FOSS drivers, but they are too late to get into this machine
considering the _current_ state of ATI drivers, FOSS or otherwise.
Maybe on my next machine, assuming that they get their act together
(ie, the FOSS drivers fully support the card, or the proprietary ones
do) before then.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il