[Digikam-users] Digikam slow

Andreas Weigl kde at silicoids-world.de
Fri Dec 7 22:46:39 GMT 2007

Hi

Am Friday 07 December 2007 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> While googling, I came across this:
> http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/02/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-lin
>ux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that/2/ Might that be relevant? Should I try
> writing vm.swappiness=1 to
> /etc/sysctl.conf? What side effect might that have?

No. A bigger filesystem cache would only help if you had a lot of IO ( => high
system or wait io value in vmstat). The problem seems to be the "application
cache" of the thumbnails.

Did you check if you actually have files in .thumbnails?

I think you could have one of the following problems:

1. Thumbnail cache too small (don't know how to increase it further)
2. The thumbnails can not be written to the .thumbnail directory so the are
generated each time (permission problem)
3. Whenever it is checked if your image has been changed since the thumbnail
was generated the result is that the image is newer. So the thumbnail has to
be regenerated. I don't know what the criterias are (timestamp or something
else). Did you check the creation time of your original images (ls -l). Maybe
they are in the future.

Andreas

--
My Public GPG Key:
http://www.silicoids-world.de/gpg.asc

Q:	How did you get into artificial intelligence?
A:	Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.