[Digikam-users] Howto move Albums from one PC to another?

Volker Guelke guelke at gmx.net
Thu Aug 2 21:57:19 BST 2007

Hello Gerhard,

Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> Hi Volker,
> this is to answer (partly) the two mails of you:
>
> digiKam can be set-up (settings->configure digiKam->metadata) so as to write
> all authoring data, comments and tags into the IPTC fields of the every image
> file. If you do that you can actually move the files outside digiKam and
> recover the metadata (provided they've not been overwritten by another
> program) when re-integrating them into the digikam library path.
>
> If you havn't set the above safe-metadata-to-file option yet, you can still
> write all metadata into the files from Album menu: Synchronize images with
> database. Unfortunately you have to do that album by album.
>
> Gerhard

thanks for the information. This sounds like it will work. Currently
I'm using an older Version of digiKam (0.8.2) on my Standard-PC
which seems to be unable to use the IPTC-Fields, but I will try that
after an upgrade to a 0.9 Version.

Will digiKam work with category keywords, if they are not yet
configured in the importing digiKam installation or do I need to
configure them manually before the import step?

Bye,
Volker