[Digikam-users] updating dcraw for Pentax K10D PEF format

Guillaume Castagnino casta at xwing.info
Wed Apr 11 17:46:38 BST 2007

Le Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:52:31 -0400, scott chevalley a écrit:

> Guillaume Castagnino wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can apply this patch against dcraw 8.69 that make it works with
>> digikam 0.9.1 by maintaining the interface just like 8.41 (and
>> backporting bilateral noise filter feature used by digikam dialog) :
>> http://gentoo.xwing.info/media-gfx/dcraw/files/dcraw-8.69-backward-
>> compat.patch
>>
>> Then :
>> - either integrate the patched version of dcraw in digikam 0.9.1 as you
>> did ;
>> - or use this patch http://gentoo.xwing.info/media-gfx/digikam/files/
>> digikam-0.9.1-external-dcraw.patch against digikam 0.9.1 to use
>> external backported dcraw (I personally prefer this solution, even if
>> it force me to maintain myself backward compatibility of dcraw to work
>> with the current digikam version)
>>
>> Other solution of course is as Gilles said to use svn version that
>> integrate a more recent version of dcraw
>>
>> Chears,
>> Guillaume
>>

> So if I understand correctly, I would apply the
> dcraw-8.69-backward-compat patch to dcraw and then apply the external
> dcraw patch to digikam, which would then allow my to just keep the
> external dcraw updated instead of having to rebuild digikam when dcraw
> was updated...
>
> Am I understanding correctly?

Yes you are :)

This is what I use to use an up to date dcraw successfully with digikam.

But this needs to rework the dcraw-8.69-backward-compat patch each time
dcraw is updated to maintain the interface so that digikam can handle it
correctly.

And while digikam is not updated, you cannot benefits from the new dcraw
noise filter within digikam for example since it's not manage in the
current digikam interface.

Yes, using an external program with moving interface is really nasty :)
I have a dream, where Dave Coffin would build his program like a library
with a stable interface ;)

Regards,
Guillaume

--