[Digikam-users] About the exif orientation tag and how digikam handles it

Pedro Venda pjvenda at pjvenda.org
Mon Sep 11 13:32:47 BST 2006

Hi Gilles,

> There are some pictures vertically oriented using the same Exif orientation
> tag but without the same thumbs rendering.

Yes, that's what I wanted to show you with the screenshots.

> Or something is wrong in
> digiKam, or your thumb database have been broken (0.8.x -> 0.9.0 or
> konqueror stuff... look my previous messages for details)

I don't use konqueror to preview or view the pictures, so I don't think this
is the problem. Nevertheless, I cleared the .thumbnails directory and
restarted digikam. It regenerated the thumbs again with the wrong
orientation.

> Can you give me some vertically oriented pictures from your Canon camera ?
> I will test in my computer...

sure;

* Vertical orientation:
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~pjlv/IMG_766_scaled.JPG

* Horizontal orientation:
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~pjlv/IMG_767_scaled.JPG

[pictures were scaled in resolution to save bandwidth, but I can supply the
originals if relevant]

Regards,
--

Pedro João Lopes Venda