[Digikam-users] IPTC, EXIF, Kphotoalbum

Hubert Figuiere hubertf at xandros.com
Tue Oct 31 14:23:00 GMT 2006

> Though Kphotoalbum seems to better suit my needs, I worry about it not
> writing tags into pictures (in the case of the need to step to another
> software - I wouldn't lose all the tagging work done). digikam,
> through IPTC tagging seem to produce more portable work.

The solution is to use sidecar XMP files. XMP is a standard for metadata
that is established by Adobe and encompass EXIF, IPTC and DublinCore in
a RDF (XML) container. It specifies writing metadata to various types of
files including JPEG, PNG and TIFF, and it has a pure XML form that can
be used for sidecar files.
Sidecar files are files that are stored next to the one they relate to.
Like img_1234.cr2 has img_1234.xmp as a sidecar file.
Sidecar files is the method chosen by various proprietary digital photo
management software including Adobe Lightroom.

Hub