[Digikam-users] IPTC, EXIF, Kphotoalbum

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Oct 31 14:08:13 GMT 2006

Thanks for your answers.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 02:18:49PM +0100, Caulier Gilles wrote:

> What do you mean by 'tag-oriented actions' exactly ?
> Are you read the digiKAm handbook before to ask questions about tags ?
>
> http://www.digikam.org/?q=docs
> > Though Kphotoalbum seems to better suit my needs,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I read the doc and gave a quick trial
at both digikam and Kphotoalbum.

Kphotoalbum felt simpler and seemed not limited by the album "concept"
boundaries (although those boundaries doesn't seem to be a problem in
digikam when looked closer).

Also I liked the xml database idea and the ro media indexing feature.

Note : Maybe digikam can not index pictures on read-only media
(although I wouldn't see why, since it could index in its database
only) ?

But it's true that I had the feeling that Kphotoalbum features were
included in digikam and that digikam provided in addition more, such
as

  . the album concept

  . the IPTC writing feature, which, to me, guaranties portability
    (does that make sense ?)

So I was wondering if I missed some essential differences between the
two softwares (left alone the editing features that I don't care about
for now).

Also, do you know if the Medata Kipi plugin would work in Kphotoalbum
(who shares that plugin mechanism) ?

> > Also, though digikam seem to leave my underlying file-system folder
> > layout intact, when importing a directory which holds only
> > sub-directories (and no pictures), it creates empty "Albums" named
> > after those sub-directories : is there a way to avoid that ?
>
> Do you mean the root director on album collection ?

No, I had something like :

foo/bar/aaa/pictures/*.jpg
foo/bar/bbb/movies/*.mpg
...etc...

and the import of foo resulted in
empty aaa and bbb albums in the album view.

--
Thomas Hummel