[Digikam-users] digiKam-0.9.0-beta3 and DigikamImagePlugins-0.9.0-beta3 have been released.

adasal adam.saltiel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:56:16 BST 2006

Well, I am a happy man.
You know the phrase, he has a history, well I'm not talking about my own,
but my computer also has a history, I guess in computer years it is a bit of
an old man now, certainly it goes back to 2005, and older versions of linux,
I started with Red Hat something.
After hitting my head against a wall for a couple of evenings I investigated
my file structure and what I have on it a bit more closely.
I discovered an old install of libgphoto2 in another location and, more
importantly, the gphoto2 executable under /usr/bin and the new install,
something like /usr/lib/bin.
Then I slapped my forhead, it's an executable, it doesn't matter much where
it is so long as it is found. Since I don't know how to tell compile where
the version I want to use is, just move (actually copy) the new version to
the old location. And it works! With one mother of a compile - well not as
long as the sadly never used PDL which took all night to compile in, but
that's another story!
Lessons:-
1. We have histories.
2. Maybe it is worth reading the book (but maybe it isn't, I wouldn't have
known what bit of knowledge I was looking for.)
3. Don't get frustrated with the mail list. If there is silence don't be
paranoid. It probably means that if you don't know your own system, then
someone else sure as hell doesn't, why should they?
4. Linux is brilliant. You could say that you would never waist your time so
productively with windos. Not true. What happens with windos is that you do
waist your time, and worse, you get sucked into dead ends while you wait and
wait for features in your prefered what ever. Linux breeds creativity and it
is brilliant. It is brilliant to be involved in that process, however
slightly. If you see a work of art don't you want to feel involved in it,
touched by it, this is the same. (where, I suppose, your own computer is
your interpretation of the work of art.)
5. I have anwered my own questions, gphoto2 is needed and the error will go
when it is found, I'm not sure the nature of the dependancy though?
6. And, of course, *digkam rocks!*

With thanks,
Adam