[Digikam-users] User experience (or bugs, hopes and wishes)

Birkir A. Barkarson birkirb at stoicviking.net
Mon Oct 2 14:01:13 BST 2006

Gilles Caulier wrote:

>> A4.
>> Encoding issues in text can cause corruption of text when tags are
>> updated (more on this below).
>
> IPTC only support prinatble ascii characters. This way will be fixed when we
> use XMP metadata (when Exiv2 will support in the future)

Strangely enough it seems that I have been able to save utf-8 strings in
ITPC via digikam (my locale is UTF8 based) and import it successfully to
my own Gallery server with the IPTC data intact (and properly inserted
into the appropriate field).

>> Suggested improvements:
>>
>> B1. Encoding issues.

> Marcel, you have fixed encoding issue with comments tags. i let's you explain
> your investiguations here.

Ok, I would like to hear this, since I often use different languages for
tags this is quite important to me.

> Implemented like a new kipi-plugin by me. A screenshot :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/newkipigpssyncplugin.png

Very cool! I thought it was only for syncing.  I will take a look at this.

> Thanks for your comments. I recommend you to post all these comments to KDE
> bugzilla (B.K.O). Look the links at digikam project page :
>
> http://www.digikam.org/?q=contact

Thanks for the answers.  Looks like there is a lot to look forward to in
Digikam.  I will direct the points you mentioned to the bugzilla database.

Regards,

BAB