[Digikam-users] User experience (or bugs, hopes and wishes)

Pedro Venda pjvenda at pjvenda.org
Mon Oct 2 12:30:34 BST 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 12:18, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> On Monday 02 October 2006 12:58, Birkir A. Barkarson wrote:
> > I have been searching for a long while for a tool that I can use to
> > adequately manage my ever expanding collection of photos.  My number one
> > and absolute requirement is that I can apply meta data to the photos
> > such as keywords or tags, title and description along with location and
> > or other pertinent information.  I refused to use applications that did
> > this by storing the data in a database since that would make my data
> > very unportable and would most likely result in lot of annoying
> > copy/paste work when I want to duplicate metadata across applications.
> > Second I wanted free software.  Every once and a while I would search
> > and see what developments had taken place.
>
> digikam store some metadata in a database to speedup keywords search ! Try
> to do the same thing only using metadata from pictures : you can take a
> coffee.
>
> All pictures management software witch provide a search feature use this
> technic.
>
> So, since we using Exiv2 library, all metadata hosted by the database are
> stored into pictures metadata.

It would be very nice to be able to do it the other way around:
Suppose my digikam.db file gets corrupted; My tagged photos are still tagged
but digikam doesn't index them. There isn't a way to rebuild the tag index
from the picture's metadata. Or is it and I just don't know where it is?

Cheers,
--

Pedro João Lopes Venda
email: pjvenda at pjvenda org