[Digikam-users] Help finding thumbnail cache settings?

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Mon Oct 2 19:09:01 BST 2006

Le Mercredi 27 Septembre 2006 01:46 PM, Dennis Meulensteen a écrit :
> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 13:35, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I know that thumbs are generated by KDE somehow,
> >
> > Digikam uses its own thumbnail ioslave, but uses the common storage.
> >
> > > but can anyone tell me
> > > where to increase the thumbnail cache size? Everytime I scroll through
> > > my collection the thumbnails get regenerated and this slows down
> > > DigiKam too much for my taste. I'd gladly dedicate 25% of my HD space
> > > just to thumbs, if only I could find out how!
> >
> > The thumbs are generated, stored in ~/.thumbnails and not deleted at any
> > limit.
>
> That's good news!
>
> > So this happens only the very first time a thumbnail is needed.
>
> understood.
>
> > Each time digikam is loaded, the thumbnail files (.png) need to be loaded
> > of course. This is probably what you are experiencing?
>
> Sure, there's a delay, but it's not a problem.
>
> > For drawing, digikam uses an internal cache of 100 pixmaps, so the last
> > 100 are displayed without any loading.
>
> This could be what I'm seeing! Is this setting configurable at all or can I
> simply find it in the code and change it before compiling? Maybe I need
> more RAM so the system can buffer the pixmaps.. I have 512Mb now. I don't
> get much swapping, but buffers get eaten into regularly.

Marcel, on my wife computer (PIV 3.6Ghz + 512 Mo), a folder with more than 200
RAW pictures take a while : the swap is very active!

This problem come when i toggle betwen another album and i'm back to the RAW
folder.

I need more investigaution about, but certainly a settings about can need to
be done, for example to set the number od thumbs need to be cached.

Gilles