[Digikam-users] Using Proxy Images (WAS: Storing comments and tags outside the image?)

Paul Waldo pwaldo at waldoware.com
Wed Nov 29 19:30:17 GMT 2006

Dennis Meulensteen wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 18:12, you wrote:
>
>>> Why don't you use proxy images?
>>> Keep your digital originals separate, back them up (to a normally
>>> unmounted or read-only drive), and run a script to convert them to
>>> smaller Jpeg 'proxies'. Then you can use those proxy images for
>>> cataloging and browsing. It's a lot faster than cataloging or browsing
>>> RAW files on any system. Also 100% safe, unless you botch the backup
>>> step.

Hi Dennis,

I've started taking a look at your procedure.  It looks like it just
might work for me, but I have one question.  In your workflow, are you
able to to perform editing actions directly?  You have Digikam indexing
your proxies.  What happens if you want to, for example, convert the
original to Black and White, then save as a PNG somewhere?  The filter
will operate on the lower resolution proxy, not on the original.  Thanks
in advance!

Paul