[Digikam-users] "Install digiKam in your Home Directory"

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:27:10 GMT 2006

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Fabien wrote:
>

>>Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Anyway, I am just testing your notes, and everything seems
> to work fine.
> Just a few comments:
> - the files to download are *.txt
>   (and not *.sh)

Yes, I know. At the beginning, it was because it was not allowed to
upload .sh files with drupal. Afterward, I found where I can change this
configuration. But, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I prefer people to
check the files and think a bit before executing them :)

> - I cannot get any of the help texts to work:
>   For help (eg. via F1) I get:
>   """The requested help file could not be found. Check that you have
>   installed the documentation."""
>   It is most likely that this is due to the way I installed things.
>   (Though I don't know how to do this one right).

Hmm, right. There are 2 problems :
- khelpcenter doesn't use the KDEDIRS when it looks for documentation,
it only looks in /usr/share/doc/kde (at least with my configuration)
I didn't find a way to specify additional paths for dirs. I'm not even
sure it's possible...
I tried to symlink the directory and it works. But that's not very clean  :(

- documentation is not installed for digikam with my script, only
kipi-plugins. I will try to fix that (the doc/ directory is not checked
out by svn).

> - Near the end of the text at
>   http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn
>   you write:
>   """Important:if you run another KDE application
>   (eg KDE Desktop, any k*** tool) before defining
>   the KDEDIRS environment variable, digikam won't work
>   or not correctly."""
>
>   One could add:
>   """Sometimes it works to do the exports as in start_digikam.sh
>      at the shell prompt and then run kdeinit"""
>   (At least that did work for me this time ;-)

I did some quick tests and it seems to work for me too !
I'm not sure it works in all condition, but I will add that.

> - Just out of curiosity:
>   do you have a 4 CPU machine, or why do you use   make -j 4?

Well, yes :)) I did some tests on a dual Amd Opteron dualcore. It was a
bit faster to compile digikam on this compute server ;-)

> So your scripts work very well - many thanks!!!
Thanks for your report.

--
Fabien