[Digikam-users] IPTC, EXIF, Kphotoalbum

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Sun Nov 5 15:53:54 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:23:21PM +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 01:19:09PM +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:27:44PM +0100, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> >
> > > Ah. I cannot reproduce it here. Witch version of digiKam you use ?
> >
> > I'm using Digikam 0.8.2 on KDE 3.5.5.
> >
> > Actually, my files layout on disk looks something like :
>
> [...]
>
> > So if I import, in the same collection, let's say,
> >
> >   aquatique/13_rangiroa-2006-10-20/Diving - L'Eolienne/
> > and
> >   aquatique/14_rangiroa-2006-10-21/Diving - L'Eolienne/
> >
> > I will end up with
> >
> >   . empty Albums (Diving - L'Eolienne)
> >   . Albums with the same name (Movie, Picture, Diving - L'Eolienne)
>
> Actually, I'm talking of course about the Collection View. In Albums
> sorted by folders, the nested album feature works.
>
> Maybe it's a normal behavior.

I'm pretty convinced now that digikam is the best open-source picture
management around. Thanks for that wonderful piece of software.

Still I'm coming back to the issue mentionned above :

Since each directory under the root picture directory is considered an
album, how can we "hide", in the Album-sorted-by-Collection view,
directories wich holds no picture but only sub-directories (on the
file system), in order not to end up with "empty" albums (should I say
"empty of picture", as they're not really empty since they contain
sub-albums) in this view ?

This makes me think about the same kind of "folder and mailbox"
concept implementations for IMAP : some consider a folder can only
contain a sub-folder or a mailbox (but only mailboxes may hold
messages), others don't mind considering a folder can, *in addition*,
be a mailbox (i.e. contain messages)...

thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel