[Digikam-users] Picasa for Linux

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sat May 27 12:09:50 BST 2006

Am Freitag, 26. Mai 2006 22:01 schrieb Caulier Gilles:
> Le Vendredi 26 Mai 2006 09:08 PM, wayne a écrit :
> > Google has released Picasa for Linux.
> > http://picasa.google.com/linux/
> >
> > Wayne
>
> Thisis not a real port of Picasa under linux API. It's use Wine :
>
> "This software uses these open source technologies: WINE, Mozilla."
>
> from http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html !!!
>
> Gilles

Plus: it's extremely "unlinux":

" Picasa for Linux isn’t open source; it uses a carefully tested version of Wine to run the current Windows version of Picasa. Wine itself is an open-source implementation of the Windows API. It runs on top of the X Window System and Linux or Unix."
(http://picasa.google.com/linux/faq.html#24)

and from http://picasa.google.com/linux/eula.html:

"You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Picasa Software"

"The Picasa Software may communicate with Google's servers to check for available updates to the Picasa Software..."

"By installing the Picasa Software and not disabling the automated check for Updates, you hereby agree to automatically request and receive Updates from Google's servers."

"If you send a request to Google’s servers, we record standard log information, including Internet Protocol addresses and information related to your request.  We also log information about the installation process and your system and settings when you download Picasa."

Quite high costs for "free software", isn't it?

Daniel
special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com