[Digikam-users] problems with ICC profiles

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri May 19 11:31:03 BST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 18. Mai 2006 21:24 schrieb Gilles Caulier:
> Daniel, have you tried this one for your Canon 20D :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/EOS 20D.icc
>
> Gilles

I still don't come to any good result in 0.9.0 svn...

I've downloaded CinePaint and tried any conversions between any ICC's, no one
came out that dark as in digikam, but also no one came out "good" (pictures
always appeard to "flat" and still too dark).

I played with different profile-combinations in UFraw, too. When using EOS
20D.icc for input and adobe srgb for output, the picture appears as dark as
in digikam, but then I can correct gamma (to 0.32) and linearity (to 0.07)
which gives a "not so bad" result, at least in the shown preview (of course
for real usable results one would have to use more time...).

I could not find any place in digikam to adjust gamma/linearity for
transforming raws (yes, there is gamma somewhere, but no linearity, and to
adjust one has to play with both of them at the same time).

Now I've spent hours in "ICC-websites", I guess I understand the theoretical
purpose, but I don't accomplish in practice.

I've asked around my photographer colleagues, and it seems, everybody has some
ideas, but nobody really *knows*. Those few (extremely up-to-date digital
studios) who really use profiles also have (very expensive!) calibrated
monitors, scanners, proof-printers and special calibration/color management
software and hardware (like monitor densitometers etc.) - and all this was
set up by experts from the suppliers. And yes: they use Mac.

However, there should be a simple way to get acceptable results, isn't it? Or
am I just too old and stupid for the modern times?

I still hope, somebody can help me...

Daniel

special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com