[Digikam-users] problems with ICC profiles

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu May 18 18:38:08 BST 2006

Le Jeudi 18 Mai 2006 19:01, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I have two, a practical and a theoretical, problems with ICC profiles for
> digiKam 0.9.0:
> ---
> practical:
>
> I can't find any profile that works with the CR2-files from my Canon 20D.
> I've downloaded what I found, tried all combinations... the picture is
> always too dark. The Camera is set up to use sRGB.
>
> in UFraw I use it's built-in sRGB for in- and output. That works ok. But
> digiKam wouldn't accept any of the sRGB-profiles I found as a camera
> profile (it doesn't show them in the setup box of camera/input profile,
> they appear only in workspace/monitor setup box)
>
> Now, what can I do?
> - Is there a possibility to create a profile myself somehow - without
> making a degree as doctor-colour-space :-))
>
> - Are there some "standard"-profiles that give acceptable results
> somewhere?
>
> - and: it's acceptable for professionals if digiKam requires them to learn
> some color management stuff (willy-nilly I'll have to go into this when I
> find the time), but are there any thoughts about what the "common home
> user" can do, who just wants to plug in his/her camera and have the photos
> in nice colours without getting involved in color management but
> nevertheless uses raw files?
>
> ---
> and the theoretical question:
>
> those ICC profiles I've seen are copyrighted. Are there any thoughts what
> happens, when one uses a profiled image-file on the web, in a photo data
> base, or delivered to a picture agency, and the copyright-holder doesn't
> like that? This possibly applies to photoshop as well, but probably they'll
> pay the royalties to the copyright-holders, and they are not open-source...
> I'm just thinking about the dvd css problems with linux... Has this already
> been discussed or is this question obsolete anyway?

All camera profiles are used to transform color from camera pictures, but
these one aren't never saved in target image, only workspace color profile
(usually sRGB). There is no trace in target image about the camera profile
used to transform the original picture.

There is some SRGB icc profiles in public domain witch don't require any
royalties. You can use it...

But i have never seen a royalties problem relevant of icc profiles. When you
buy a camera, you buy the software too, and the license to use the profiles
provides by the camera maker !

Gilles