[Digikam-users] Color Management, various questions.

Francisco J. Cruz francisco.jct at gmail.com
Sun May 14 21:21:58 BST 2006

2006/5/14, Caulier Gilles <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net>:
> Le Dimanche 14 Mai 2006 01:59 PM, Tommaso Schiavinotto a écrit:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've a Minolta Dynax 5D, I shoot RAW and I'm trying to figure out which
> > is the best setting for my workflow using the 0.9.0 svn version.
>
> Welcome. I'm using a Dynax 5D too. Nice camera !!!
>

> > I'm using the Minolta profile for the 5D as input profile, AdobeRGB as
> > Workspace and sRGB as monitor. The results that I get are really good,
> > and it really make things easier.
>
> Yes, i use too...
>

> > What I would like to understand is the function of the
> > "Use color managed view". If it is unchecked, what am I seeing on the
> > monitor?
>
> This option is only to render color using your monitor color profile to trying
> to render properly all color in screen. It's not necessary to use it and
> don't change anything in image data. It's just use to render image in editor
> and image plugins preview. I have just commited changes in svn to increase
> performance about this option...
>

> > Another problem is how should I behave to have pictures that I want to
> > store or send for printing as AdobeRGB, and pictures for the web (read
> > flickr) in sRGB.
> >
> > The last problem that I have is that sometime I get pictures from a
> > Dimage z5, how can I change the input profile only for those pictures?
> > Or maybe I don't care because they are simply JPGs?
> >

> Paco, if you can give more informations here... Thanks in advance...

Well, you have two options:

- Use digiKam settings to change the profile when you are going to
work with this files.

- Set digiKam for "answer" when you open an image in I.E. and later
select don't apply any profile to the picture. Later, you can use the
Color Management plugin (Fix->color->color managment) to apply the
profile you need to the image.