[Digikam-users] Color Management, various questions.

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sun May 14 16:23:39 BST 2006

Le Dimanche 14 Mai 2006 04:41 PM, Tommaso Schiavinotto a écrit :
> Caulier Gilles wrote:
> > Le Dimanche 14 Mai 2006 01:59 PM, Tommaso Schiavinotto a écrit :
>
> [...]
>
> >> What I would like to understand is the function of the
> >> "Use color managed view". If it is unchecked, what am I seeing on the
> >> monitor?
> >
> > This option is only to render color using your monitor color profile to
> > trying to render properly all color in screen. It's not necessary to use
> > it and don't change anything in image data. It's just use to render image
> > in editor and image plugins preview. I have just commited changes in svn
> > to increase performance about this option...
>
> I had updated the source this morning (and update exiv2 too, I sent a
> message on the group for a compilation problem) ...
> Anyway it really it's too slow in my computer (just resizing the window
> takes few 3/4 seconds, and it's quite annoying), I noticed the
> difference in colors if I use it or not, and if I work on levels and
> curves I would expect to work on "real" colors...

No. I have commited these change today at 3:00 PM paris hours.

> >> Another problem is how should I behave to have pictures that I want to
> >> store or send for printing as AdobeRGB, and pictures for the web (read
> >> flickr) in sRGB.
> >>
> >> The last problem that I have is that sometime I get pictures from a
> >> Dimage z5, how can I change the input profile only for those pictures?
> >> Or maybe I don't care because they are simply JPGs?
> >
> > Paco, if you can give more informations here... Thanks in advance...
>
> I would really appreciate that... :) I think that digikam is almost
> self-explanatory,
> and it has really simplified things for the color management, but I'm
> particularly dumb and
> I've always failed to understand how to exploit the color-management in
> the workflow...

Explanation will come with digiKam handbook. It's under updating by Gerhard
Kulzer on svn. Not yet complete... Can be long. All help welcome.

> >> Would that be possible to have digikam choosing the right input profile
> >> based on the EXIF data?
> >
> > Well, yes, this is my plan later 0.9.0. It's not very complicated to do,
> > but require sustential changes in digiKam at startup to parse an ICC
> > profile repository. Note that UFRAW project have planed to do the same
> > rules in the future...
>
> I followed the evolution of digikam from the 0.7.0 and the step that
> you've done this time is really impressive.

Thanks (:=)))... I'm not alone !

> Uhm... one more observation. On the info about the picture of Dynax 5D
> it is possible to have the AF point. I can't find it
> on the makernotes, while it would be nice to be visualised on the
> picture as well (I suppose this can wait the
> release 4.x.x :) )

Ah, the big problem of makernote. You need to process a reverse enginerring
with you camera to take picture and check makenote tags will changes when you
set a camera settings ! This is can be long. You can use Exiv2 or Exiftools
to read unrecognized values from makernote and trying to find the right tags
used.

If you find someting, please send me a mail, i will update Exiv2 accordinly.

Gilles