[Digikam-users] digiKam 0.8.1

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Sat Jan 21 16:04:22 GMT 2006

Hi,

We are pleased to announce digiKam 0.8.1.  This version brings raw support,
new icons, image rating, printing enhancements and in the meanwhile we also
fixed some bugs.

digiKam is a digital photo management application for KDE, focussed on
importing and organizing digital photos. Aimed at all types of users.

The noteworthy features in this release:

- You are now able to rate your images from 1 start to 5 stars. In the search
part of digiKam, you can search for images with a certain rating.

- A new theme has been added, the 'Dessert' theme.

- 8 bit raw support has been added, you can now view those images in the
imageviewer. In digiKam version 0.9.0 there will be 16 bit raw support.

- copy & paste support has been added, you can copy between albums and from
konqueror to digiKam.

- dcop functions have been added to open the camera dialog at a certain path
or start the autodetect function similar to the command line option

- a command line option has been added to open the camera dialog at a certain
path. This feature and the previous are preparations for full media kio
support.

- showfoto can now open a directory with images in there

- automatically adjust orientation of printing depending on the image

- new icons!

- kipi plugins now work on search or date folders

Some of the bugs we squashed since 0.8.0:

- the configure option --enable-nfs-hack did not work, now it does work again.

- the configure option --enable-final did not work, now it does work again.

- showfoto's open dialog now opens in the location you used the last time.

- a bunch of memory leaks are now fixed.

- printing did not really work. Now it does work again.

Downloading:

The source tarball is available from:

kubuntu breezy:
    deb  http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~ach/kubuntu/breezy ./
    deb-src http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~ach/kubuntu/breezy ./

kubuntu dapper:
    the package is already available in dapper

Ark Linux (http://www.arklinux.org/) already includes digikam 0.8.1 in its
"dockyard-devel" development tree. Users of the stable tree can upgrade the
package without upgrading to the development tree using "apt-get -t
dockyard-devel install digikam".

Tom Albers
digiKam team