[Digikam-users] Testers needed.

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 22:15:53 GMT 2006

Am Sonntag 15 Januar 2006 22:40 schrieb Tom Albers:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> thanks for testign!
>
> > Curious I choose my unmounted /boot partition which also has a square
> > character at the end of the menu text. digikam tries to mount this
> > partition (without having the rights), opens five download windows and
> > hangs.
> >
> > Next try: Now I try to open another option of the media browse menu. But
> > these do not show any reaction.
>
> Hu, was your cardreaser in the menu and what did it do?

Yes. I use a standard HAL setup so its not really the cardreader that appears
but the the label of the (here) CF-card. I tried clicking with a mouted and
also with a unmounted card but nothing happens and no message in konsole
output. I attach a screenshot of my menu and want to point to the small
square of the first option. This is the only option I can choose, but this
leads digikam to hang.

> > I also discovered a new menu in the kicker media browser called "digiKam
> > mount and download" which is BTW too technical and too long ;-) This
> > opens a new instance of digiKam (which I do not like very much) and opens
> > the download window. Downloading this way works fine.
>
> This should not open a new instance, but connect to the running one. Achim?

Just tests this again: A new instance opens but both instances have an open
download window.

> > I did not found a unmount option in digikam but I could unmount via the
> > kicker applet and this does not produce any bad influence to the running
> > digiKam instance.
>
> if unmounted clicked on the media thing in digiKam it will umount when you
> leave the download dialog. If you choose mount & start digikam digikam will
> see it was mounted before digikam started and will not umount it (of
> course).

OK, I see. But in the applet we then have two mount commands which looks
strange. I think its better to hide this (un)mounting from the user in the
menu. The applet option "Open in new window" does also mount on demand and is
not called "mount and open" when the device is still unmounted.
Auto-unmounting seems to be quite unsual for media-clients but I like it :-)

> > So, as a reviewer I would vote to deactivate this option as default cause
> > - its on the wrong place, this optiton has to be part of the camera
> > config
>
> No, the menu is dynamic, when you plugin the camera after digikam is
> started it will become visible in the menu. there is nothing to do in the
> camera config...

But some users are used to config their cameras in the main config window.
They do not see this new option. And the current browse menu looks somehow
crowded. In the kicker applet I can also choose what device interests me so
IMHO I think its better to give the user an option to config what
device/card/partition the user is interested in and only shows these
dynamically in the camera menu when they are plugged it in.

> > menu and an alternative to static mounting
> > - it offers a choice which can make digiKam hang
>
> It will show all media devices, it can not decide if /boot will contain
> images or not ;-)

But can you reproduce the number of four (not five) open download windows that
can not be closed so you have to kill digikam? This should not happen.

> > - the main media browse menu has here no working function
>
> That should not be true.

Do I need newer libs/tools?

Bye

  Thorsten